This stone bench came from the frontage of the Burlington
Arcade which was designed for Lord Cavendish reputedly to
stop passers by from throwing rubbish over the garden wall
of Burlington House.
Opened in 1819, the shopping arcade is the longest in
London and links Piccadilly with Bond Street.
The north end of the arcade was damaged in the Blitz but
restored in the 1950’s when this piece of stonework was
rescued and eventually donated to RHS Garden Rosemoor.